This is one of four honey cake recipes that Lillian included in her first book, For The Love of Baking and it’s my choice for the best honey cake recipe ever.
P.S. Don’t forget the Apple Cake, too!
Happy New Year!
ORANGE MARMALADE HONEY CAKE
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon (scant) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup honey (preferably liquid)
1/2 cup thick orange marmalade
1 cup very strong tea
- Grease an 8″ or 8″ inch square pan
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a large mixer bowl, mix oil, sugar, honey, marmalade and eggs
- Beat 1-2 minutes on high speed.
- On low speed, add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the cup of strong tea. Mix only until dry ingredients disappear. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into the greased square pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with blanched almonds.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour
Variation: Use ginger marmalade or apricot jam in place of orange marmalade.